Home Therapy Instructions: Using Ice Packs
Ice therapy is an effective means of pain control, especially after suffering an injury. Homemade ice packs can be more comfortable and effective than a bag of frozen peas. Made correctly, they mold to your body applying an even layer of cooling.
Before giving the instructions to make an ice pack, the basic points of using an ice pack should be understood. Always place a layer of towel between your skin and the ice pack. NEVER apply the ice pack directly to the skin. Place the ice pack on the affected area for NO LONGER than 15 minutes. Any longer may increase the risk of injury to the tissue.
Make A Home Ice Pack: Method 1
- 1. Fill the a freezer bag with 2 cups of water and add 1 cup of rubbing alcohol.
- 2. Seal the bag shut, squeezing out as much air as possible.
- 3. Place this bag in a second bag to prevent any leakage.
- 4. Place in freezer till it is frozen, about an hour.
- 5. Place a towel between the ice pack and your skin to avoid injury.
Make A Home Ice Pack: Method 2
The second method is to fill a freezer bag with dish soap.
Freeze it and use as above.
Make A Home Ice Pack: Method 3
- 1. Place ice in a freezer bag.
- 2. Fill the bag with cold water.
- 3. Place a towel over the affected area
- 4. Place the ice pack on the affected area for no longer than 15 minutes.
If your pain lasts longer than 4-6 days, consult our office. It is probably more than a simple ache or pain. Call (314) 731-4383 or CLICK TO CALL NOW